Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Unexpected

[Week 4] Annette and I are on the train going into downtown when a man gets on carrying a harp... a BIG heavy harp. I feel sorry for him. It must be a precarious situation travelling in a lurching train with such a large and valuable instrument. I imagine that that he is on his way to the philharmonic or a music school. So I'm surprised when he sits down on the arm of a seat and begin to play.

It was surrealistic - a roving, public tranportation harpist!? He played two songs, bowed, we all clapped and dropped coins in his satchel. Later as Annette and I exited the train, we saw him playing anew in the adjacent train car.

Due to the sound of the train, it's hard to hear how well he played, but click here to view part one and two of the video + a few more photos from week four.

No comments: