Friday, October 26, 2007

Little Sleep. Lots of Friends

According to anything official, there is only one hour time difference between Orlando and Buenos Aires during daylight savings in the US. Though technically accurate, this perspective is a bit deceptive, since the average weekday dinner time here ranges from 9 to 11 pm.

Since I prefer to be in bed about the time the main course is served here I’ve found it much more helpful to reset my body clock as I would for a more drastic time change. My jet lag coping strategies include not thinking about what time it is, either where I am or where I came from and going to bed when everyone else does. (I cut myself some slack by sleeping until I wake up and eating every few hours.)

This has helped me actually enjoy the dinners/cookouts/meetings we’ve had every evening but one for the past two weeks. Getting to bed after 1 am every night makes it hard to get up in the morning, but it’s a small price to pay for time with friends like these.

No comments: